News Shorts Weather Tweets and Sports for Monday, March 19, 2018
Top 10 News Shorts from the AP
1. AP: KUSHNER’S REAL ESTATE FIRM SAID THEY HAD NO RENT-CONTROLLED TENANTS
Tenant advocates say the tactic is used by landlords to get around protections that prevent them from forcing out low-paying tenants in favor of higher-paying ones.
2. WHITE HOUSE SAYS MUELLER’S SAFE
Despite Trump’s jabs on Twitter at the special counsel, the administration says the president isn’t thinking or talking about firing the veteran prosecutor.
3. WHAT PUTIN GAINS IN ELECTION VICTORY
The Russian president is handed a massive mandate to pursue his nationalist, assertive policies — home and abroad — for another six years.
4. ANOTHER EXPLOSION IN TEXAS CAPITAL
Two people are injured in the blast in Austin, and police aren’t ruling out if it was caused by a package bomb like the three that detonated earlier this month elsewhere in the city.
5. SHUTDOWN LOOMING, CONGRESS AND WHITE HOUSE SEEK BUDGET DEAL
Disputes over immigration, abortion and a massive rail project stand in the way before a deal can be reached on the $1.3 trillion spending bill.
6. HALF-YEAR ON, MEXICO CITY STRUGGLING FOR NORMALCY
Dozens of people are still living in improvised street camps in front of damaged buildings since September’s magnitude 7.1 earthquake.
7. WHO MAY FOLLOW CITY SCHOOLS’ LEAD
Officials in some suburban and rural school districts are considering metal detectors as they rethink their security plans following a deadly high school shooting in Florida.
8. TRUMP TO PUSH OPIOID SOLUTION IN NEW HAMPSHIRE
The president’s plan to combat the epidemic calls for stiffer penalties for drug traffickers, including the death penalty where appropriate under current law.
9. WHERE FAKE NEWS FIGHT IS HEADED
The U.S. government is gearing up to confront the phenomenon in Kenya, where America has sought to nurture a vibrant but volatile African democracy.
10. HOW MUCH STUNNING UPSET MADE FOR A CONFERENCE
By becoming the first No. 16 seed to beat a No. 1, UMBC made about $1.7 million for the America East.
News via news feeds